O MagNOMS

One of my favorite types of choirs is the Trombone Choir.  This ensemble, to me, is truly magnificent (of course when it involves high level players).  The colors and sound, they draw me in every time.  In my first post I discussed that some transcriptions/arrangements work really well from piano to brass, in this case from choral music to a trombone choir arrangement.  O Magnum Mysterium (1994) by Morten Lauridsen is one of the most beautiful works I've ever heard.  O Magnum Mysterium was commissioned by Marshall Rutter in honor of his wife Terry Knowles.  The texts from this chant are related to Christmas, they say:

O magnum mysterium et admirabile sacramentum ut animalia viderent Dominum natum jacetum in praesepio! Beata Virgo, cujus viscera meruerunt portare Dominum Christum. Alleluia! 
O great mystery,
and wondrous sacrament
that animals should see the new-
born Lord, lying in their manger!
Blessed is the Virgin whose womb
was worthy to bear the
Lord Jesus Christ. Alleluia!


"In composing music to these inspirational words about Christ's birth and the veneration of the Virgin Mary, I sought to impart a transforming spiritual experience within what I call ‘a quiet song of profound inner joy.’ I wanted this piece to resonate immediately and deeply into the core of the listener, to illumine through sound.” Listen for the dissonant note on the word “Virgo”, which Lauridsen calls the most important note of the piece, focusing on the Virgin Mary." - notes from Morten Lauridsen

Here is a recording of the University of Michigan Trombone Choir performing O Magnum Mysterium.  They did a wonderful job performing this piece!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American NOMS Quintet

Sotto Voce NOMSSSSSSS

Ewazenoms :)