Vienna Horns ... Noms :)


For the most part, I've tried to avoid transcriptions for brass but I do want to talk about the Vienna Horns Chamber Ensemble.  This group, to my knowledge, performs mostly transcriptions from movie soundtracks, but the musicianship they have is glorious!

The Vienna Horns chamber music ensemble, founded in 2002, is probably the only one of its kind in the world. Its members are the lead hornists of Austrian orchestras, and they all play exclusively the Vienna Horn in F, an instrument that is used only in Vienna and that is partly responsible for the distinctive Vienna Sound. The ensemble’s repertoire includes not only original works, virtuoso arrangements of film music, but also works rooted in unsophisticated Austrian folk culture and temporary compositions that show off the instrument’s warm, dark sound. - Vienna Horns website

Members of this group are: 
- Thomas Jöbstl, Josef Reif, Markus Obmann, Raphael Stöffelmayr, Gerhard Kulmer, Thomas Bieber, Walter Reitbauer, Albert Heitzinger, Thomas Fischer, Franz Obermüller, Franz Pickl. - horns 

This group also uses percussion, the percussionist are: 
- Patrick Prammer, Margit Schoberleitner, Kevan Teherani, Lukas Schiske, Benedikt Schmiedinger, and Georg Hasibeder

Conductor: 
- Alois Glaßner

Arranger: 
- Alexander Wagendristel

The first time I heard a recording of them playing was a few years ago, I believe it was 2013.  I was sitting in my friends car, a horn player, and he says "Hey, I want you to listen to this group." So of course I'm all about that and take a seat back.  From the first notes I heard I knew right away that this was going to be something special. 

Here are some recordings that I think you will enjoy: 
Titanic
Jurassic Park




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American NOMS Quintet

Sotto Voce NOMSSSSSSS

Ewazenoms :)